It’s a rainy day and I crave a comforting bowl of chicken soup. This is a light recipe, but you can easily bulk it up by adding rice, noodles, or napa cabbage.
Serve with slices of baguette.
Above: A serving of soup with baguette slices and a nosy cat. Total of 161 calories.
Yield: about 11 servings
Nutrition: 107 calories
- 4 (about 16 ounces) chicken thighs, skinless
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, chopped
- 3 (about 350 grams) potatoes (I used Yukon gold and red), cubed
- 2/3 cup peas (can use frozen)
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Put the chicken, potato, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, thyme, parsley, peppercorns, peas, and chicken stock in a pot and heat over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer for 40-50 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with a fork. Add the chicken back to the soup. Season with salt and serve with a pinch of parsley.